This is a forum that is in conjuction with DivagirlsDeals.com Enjoy!!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

cracker recipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Divagirl
Admin

PostSubject: cracker recipes   Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 am

I know you may think that I am crazy, but I am really wanting to make my own crackers.

I had some wonderful home made crackers at a local restaurant and they are so much better than store bought. So I am destined to make some too...here are some recipes that I found...

http://www.garvick.com/recipesmm/cracker_recipes.htm

IF you have ever made your own crackers or flatbread, feel free to share your recipes with the rest of us. I am really interested in baking more and more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://divagirlsdeals.forumakers.com
Divagirl
Admin

PostSubject: Crisp Rosemary Flatbread   Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 am

Ive got to make this!! It actually looks easy to make. I will post on here how it comes out..

This recipe comes from Gourmet Magazine.

Crisp Rosemary Flatbread
Gourmet, July 2008

Nothing could be easier than making this cracker, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t tell people you slaved all day over it because they’re going to be impressed, really impressed, and I see no reason not to milk it.

I think you could easily swap the rosemary for other herbs, such as thyme or tarragon, or punch it up with black pepper or other spices, but personally, I like it just the way it is here.

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary plus 2 (6-inch) sprigs
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
Flaky sea salt such as Maldon

Preheat oven to 450°F with a heavy baking sheet on rack in middle.

Stir together flour, chopped rosemary, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in center, then add water and oil and gradually stir into flour with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Knead dough gently on a work surface 4 or 5 times.

Divide dough into 3 pieces and roll out 1 piece (keep remaining pieces covered with plastic wrap) on a sheet of parchment paper into a 10-inch round (shape can be rustic; dough should be thin).

Lightly brush top with additional oil and scatter small clusters of rosemary leaves on top, pressing in slightly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Slide round (still on parchment) onto preheated baking sheet and bake until pale golden and browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer flatbread (discard parchment) to a rack to cool, then make 2 more rounds (1 at a time) on fresh parchment (do not oil or salt until just before baking). Break into pieces.

Flatbread can be made 2 days ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
Back to top Go down
Divagirl
Admin

PostSubject: here is how it turned out!   Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:32 am

I made the rosemary flatbread.

I made 2 batches. One following the recipe exactly-they did turn out great. But I added more rosemary to the dough since I grow rosemary and I have alot of it.

On the 2nd, I changed it up some. I added the rosemary (as I did before) but then I added a bunch of seeds to the dough. Sesame, caraway, pumpkin, poppy, sunflower. As well as freshly cracked pepper. These were a HUGE hit!!! And now my hubby wants me to make this something that I always make and have around for us to snack on and stop buying store bought crackers-these are much better.

I highly recommend you add whatever your heart desires to the recipe and make it your own. It works out wonderfully.

If you do make these, here is a really good tip that I figured out on the 2nd batch. Since you have to cook these on parchment paper (I did cook these on a pizza stone but on parchment paper), you may want to roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment. And roll it out really thin! Then just take off the top layer of parchment (after rolling it out) and brush it with oil and sprinkle it with salt. Dont forget the Salt!! It makes it!!!

I would like to make a batch by adding a tablespoon of tomato paste-it will give them a pretty color....next time. I also was at Central Market yesterday and bought a really pretty purple salt (its called hibiscus salt) which will add a pretty color to the top of the next batch of crackers.

I am going to make a batch just for hubby to take to work. Since these are vegetarian alot of his vegetarian employees will like them.

Anyone else made these? If so report in on how they came out!

Last edited by Divagirl on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cracker recipes   

Back to top Go down

cracker recipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Divagirls Deals :: Frugality :: Recipes-
Jump to: